Acupuncture throughout pregnancy helps to support the body so that you can better adjust and adapt to the changes in your body. We cater your acupuncture treatments to each stage of your pregnancy. Early first trimester treatments may address nausea and morning sickness, headaches, fatigue, while promoting emotional well-being. Throughout your second trimester we will focus on easing any of the common conditions that may arise such as improving digestion, sleep quality, and every day stress. Once in the third trimester, we focus on musculoskeletal pain and discomfort, edema/swelling, insomnia, breech presentation, general health and well-being.
Birth and labor preparation
We recommend weekly office visits starting around week 34 of pregnancy to support the body in transitioning from pregnancy to labor. Research demonstrates that pre-birth acupuncture is effective in shortening labor duration, reducing medical induction and cesarean section rates. These treatments focus on:
- Promoting cervical ripening and dilation
- Balancing the nervous system for labor
- Emotional and physical support and releasing fears surrounding labor and birth
- Supporting amniotic fluid levels
- Promoting the natural onset of labor
Acupuncture treatments throughout postpartum help promote physical and emotional healing. Giving yourself the time and space to heal properly will allow you to better connect with and enjoy your newborn. Postpartum treatments can take place in your home or our office and focus on:
- Hormonal changes
- Milk production / lactation and breastfeeding issues (mastitis, blocked ducts, etc)
- Muscle imbalance issues from pregnancy or labor
- Irregular sleep patterns
- "Baby Blues"
- Postpartum depression and anxiety
- Overall recovery and wellness post-birth